3.30.2009

global edition


We all know that the social safety net in europe is stronger than it is here. Put another way, Europe has one and we do not. Still, it's sometimes difficult to think of European solutions to our problems, even when examples of their success are close at hand. Enter: the NYTimes global edition.

You can easily click through to the global edition from the regular times homepage. I was quickly exposed to ten writers I wouldn't have otherwise read today. They were advocating for shorter, more flexible work weeks as a replacement for layoffs in the United States. There's the problem of the safety net, yet some job is always better than no job, especially if you live in Kentucky; or Brooklyn for that matter.

Of course I look at European papers when I can, but having the editorial voice of the Times cull and organize the cacophony for me is very helpful. I feel smarter already, although I did just finish my second cup of coffee and that often does it.

Anyone else think this might be the last reorganization of the nytimes.com online content before they make the big jump to online monetization? I'm definitely getting that feeling.

2 comments:

paul dorfman said...

I would pay for the NY times online. Provided it had a low annual subscription.

Steven said...

me too.